During the airport master planning process, planners determine what, if any, additional facilities will be required to accommodate forecast activity. This task begins with an assessment of the ability of existing facilities to meet current and future demand. If they cannot, planners must determine what additional facilities will be needed to accommodate the unmet demand. This chapter is normally referred to as the facility requirements.
The facility requirements element of the airport master plan summarizes a technical analysis of the aviation and allied facilities that will be required to accommodate the aeronautical activity (passenger, air cargo and general aviation/corporate) identified in the aviation forecasts element.
These facilities may include runways, taxiways, aprons, passenger terminals, air cargo facilities, navigation aids, airport traffic control towers and security, safety and maintenance facilities.
The criteria used to define these facilities are contained in a series of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Codes, Circulars and Orders that include, but are not limited to:
- 49 CFR Part 1542, Airport Security;
- 14 CFR Part 77, Objects Affecting Navigable Airspace;
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5300-13, Airport Design;
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5060-5, Airport Capacity and Delay;
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5325-4, Runway Length Requirements for Airport Design;
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5320-6, Airport Pavement Design and Evaluation;
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5360-13, Planning and Design Guidelines for Airport Terminal Facilities;
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5360-9, Planning and Design of Airport Terminal Facilities at Non-Hub Locations;
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5210-15, Airport Rescue and Firefighting Station Building Design;
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5220-18, Buildings for Storage and Maintenance of Airport Snow and Ice Control Equipment and Materials;
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5300-14, Design of Aircraft Deicing Facilities; and
- FAA Order 6480.4, Airport Traffic Control Tower Siting Criteria.